Rowing

Syracuse men’s rowing competes at Lake Morey, varsity 8 retains Packard and Conlan Cup

Courtesy of Syracuse Athletics

For the third straight season, Syracuse's varsity 8 retained the Conlan Cup.

Syracuse men’s rowing traveled to Fairlee, Vermont, for a weekend of races at the Lake Morey Invitational against No. 10 Dartmouth, No. 11 Boston University and No. 17 Georgetown.

SU’s fourth varsity 8 competed against Dartmouth and BU Saturday, coming in last with a time of 6:12.65. The Orange were 9.13 seconds behind first-place Dartmouth and 6.97 seconds behind the Terriers.

The 4V8+ raced for the first time last weekend against Navy and Cornell, finishing second with a time of 5:55.7.

Syracuse’s third varsity 8, recently ranked No. 8 in the week 3 IRCA/IRA Men’s Varsity 8+ polls, came in at 5:59.74, 4.21 seconds behind Dartmouth in its dual race.

Ethan Graham moved to the third varsity 8, while senior captain Reilly Eagan moved to the second varsity 8.

Syracuse’s second varsity 8 narrowly lost to Dartmouth, losing by 0.82 seconds. The Orange finished with a time of 5:48.18, 2.78 seconds slower than their race against Navy and Cornell.

In the final race of the morning slate, the Dartmouth and Syracuse varsity 8s competed for the Packard Cup.

In a close race, Syracuse repeated as champions for the second straight year with a time of 5:44.82. The Orange were 2.19 seconds ahead of Dartmouth.

In the Saturday afternoon races, SU’s fourth varsity 8 finished three seconds behind Dartmouth with a time of 6:28.8 while BU came in second at 6:31.1.

Andrew Furlow moved to the 4V8+ after racing in the 3V8+ on Saturday morning. Agraz sat out of the afternoon races with fellow spares Salif Traore and Sam Fernandez. The third varsity 8 beat Boston University by 4.95 seconds, finishing with a time of 6:25.63.

SU’s second varsity 8 finished on the wrong side of another neck-and-neck race. The Orange (6:10.77) lost to BU by 0.4 seconds after losing to Dartmouth earlier in the day.

In the final race Saturday, Syracuse competed against BU for the Conlan Cup. Syracuse took home the trophy for the third year in a row with a time of 6:07.71, 6.66 seconds better than the Terriers.

To close out the weekend, Syracuse’s varsity 8 beat Georgetown to remain undefeated for the weekend. SU came in at 6:11.0, 15.3 seconds ahead of the Hoyas.

The second varsity 8 repeated the same feat, taking down Georgetown by 14 seconds. The Orange finished with a time of 5:56.6. While Syracuse’s third varsity 8 beat the fourth varsity 8 and Georgetown’s third varsity 8. The 3V8+ clocked 6:05.8, 12.1 seconds ahead of the 4V8+ and 22.8 seconds faster than Georgetown.

The Orange will race in three weeks in Worcester, Massachusetts, at the Eastern Sprints in their last race before the IRA National Championship.